Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bits of antiques


Not much going on here - it's hot, I'm busy with non-quilty things like work and an upcoming wedding (DS #1!).  But, I did take a day this week to drive to Flemington, New Jersey, to attend the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Study Group meeting.  The theme was signature quilts and I am such a sucker for signature quilts.  Boy, those New Jersey girls (and historical societies) have some o-l-d quilts.  You'll see what I mean when you examine the fabrics in these pictures.  The detail above is an interesting one.  Every single name was done with the same stamp.  Unless every one of the ladies had her own version, someone had to tweeze the letters out each time and then squeeze the new ones in.


The other interesting thing about that quilt is that the names were stamped in the cornerstones of the quilt.  Normally, I see them in the center of the block.  It is a pretty stamp.


One would be inclined to call the red balls on this quilt berries but they are grapes.  Notice the leaves?  They are grape leaves.  Those berries grapes are stuffed within a millimeter of exploding.  They look a bit like what was growing in my yard after a week of thunderstorms everyday.


I included this one because the inking is just a masterpiece.  The fabrics are pristine, too.  You probably cannot read the writing but it says Sarah Cowin, Lambertville, 1843.  


Last, but hardly least, is another stamped name with more bright, crisp fabric from the early half of the 19th century. I really like this block and I know I've seen some repros very similar to these fabrics.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the peek at these vintage beauties. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for New Jersey! We used to go to Flemington to visit a pottery and a glass making factory..wonder if they're still there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the grape leaves piece very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts - thank you for sharing this wonderful history. Made even more special being from my home state! Looks like it was a very interesting day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful quilts - I could spend hours looking at the fabrics in them. Thanks for sharing these treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like another great quilt study day with wonderful examples. Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed "looking over your shoulder" at these wonderful examples of inkings on quilt - they always hold a special place in my quilting heart too. Some were so elaborate - others simple but there they all are for us to admire and connect with those long ago quilters.

    (Jeanne Sullivan recently did a blog posting on applque quilts with detailed inkings too)


    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilts & great details, thanks for showing these pics, always nice to have a look at these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm amazed at those grapes! I've never seen any either grouped so close together or stuffed like that. It makes it really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous quilts! I do love looking at the "oldies" - oldies, but goodies!! Particularly love the last but one, such great colours, the inking looks so detailed, and love the "jigsaw" pieces in two of the corners!! Thanks for sharing your lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a born and bread Jersey girl I would have to agree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for posting these. You have a great blog. I'll be reading it all when time permits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those inked quilts! It amazes me! Do you know how they actually do that? Why dont more modern days quilts have that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I see things like this is just makes me light-headed with glee. I love to reflect back upon the times when these quilts were made and often wonder why we don't do the same today.

    Thanks for sharing, Taryn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous post! Wonderful old quilts and fabrics to drool over. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always such a pleasure to see these old quilts. I have to admit I don't know much about signature quilts, and rarely see them. That said, I'm guessing that these that you're showing are quite unique.

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, all these quilts look simply amazing, little works of art, must have been very hard to make, but the ones who made them are very skilled and talented. I especially like the one from 1843, is so beautiful and unique, I don’t recall ever seeing something similar.


    Split-Site PhD by Liberty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...