When I saw Kathie's post today with photos of all of her 1.5" strips all I could think of was one of those cans of snakes that explode everywhere when you unscrew the lid. They looked like they were squiggling. She's looking for another project to use them and I thought turning them into 1" half square triangles would be a brilliant idea. Simply brilliant. So, I suggested it. She's still laughing, I think.
So, when I got home this evening I took a look at my own scrap box to see if there were some hst in the making for me. My bin has been getting a little bloated lately so, surely, if I made some 1" hst then I could pare it down some. I've got a lot of scrappy projects going right now so I thought I would do something more orderly. Red and white! Digging around in my box I discovered that there weren't too many red scraps in the size I needed for some quick and easy hst. I was looking for 2" squares so I could get two 1" hst from each one. Time, patience and supply lasted for twenty little triangle squares. If you have the urge to make your own, cut a light and dark 2" square, draw a line diagonally on the back of the light square, pair it with a dark and sew a scant 1/4" on either side of the line. Cut apart along the line and press open. Trim the square to 1-1/2". I pressed my seam open I'll let you know how the quilting goes.
As I said, my patience only lasted for 20 triangle squares. That is enough for what I like to call "bulletin board" quilts. They work out to be about 6"x9" and are perfect for pinning to a bulletin board for a little bit of quilty fun. I've rolled them up and put them in jars, too.
Once I had all the triangles together, I measured and added 1-1/4" border strips. Ta-da! A "quilt" top made from 1" half square triangles. I used most of the reds in my scrap box that were 2" or bigger and there were plenty of light pieces available. But, it definitely did not make a dent in the scraps. In fact, I had enough scraps left over from my weekend project to more than make up for what I used. So, I squished everything back into the box and locked down the lid.
Above is my weekend project! The Temecula Quilt Company "Spring T" top. I have a particular affinity for "T" quilts and this was a super easy block to make while still being clearly a "T." I bought the kit because I just love the colors in the "T" blocks. The kit was generous enough to prewash the fabric and still have some usable scraps left over. The block was easy enough to crank out the top while the hubby was at Pilates. (Yes, Pilates, but I'm am not going there) I want to thank Jan from "What a Load A Scrap" blog for permission to prewash small fabric pieces. It was her post here where she mentioned she washed her 5" squares of fabric that freed me up to do the same. It's a personal preference but I can't stand sewing with unwashed fabric. I dumped my whole kit into the washer and it turned out great. That is rarely the case with kits I am sorry to say so if you prewash be prepared to augment from your stash. Anyway, this little top is destined for hand quilting, too.
Finally, a "work in progress" shot of my various scrappy projects currently in progress. To the left are my own 1.5" strips (A-ha! we are back to where this post started!) that are destined to become 5-1/2" strips for my scrappy rails project