Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Perils of Pausing


Get it? Perils of Paus-ing...Perils of Pauline?  Sorry, I could not get that old movie title out of my head ever since I thought about titling this post "the perils of pausing."  Okay, it's out of my system now so I can show you the real perils of pausing.  Caution: graphic image of totally destroyed sewing space.


Every time I go into my sewing room and look at this mess I feel very much like our poor heroine ham-strung and tied to the train tracks.  This isn't one of those creative messes that result from a frenzy of sewing productive-ness.  No, this is the stifled result of too many projects in too little space with too little time and too little energy to clean it and organize it.  I literally cannot get to my machine right now...so I keep hand sewing.


Which, as it turns out is pretty satisfying.  This past weekend I finished TWO of my Flower Garden blocks.  I would like to be cutting up the scraps into 1-1/2" pieces to use for the sashing in this quilt but, well, you've seen my cutting table.


And...I am still piecing little houses and Lemoyne star blocks.  I also think I found the background fabric for my stars but that's another post and a whole bunch more indecision.  It's also another big piece of fabric piled on my chair looking for storage space.  My problem now is I've sewn together all the pieces I prepped ages ago and I don't have anything left that's ready for hand sewing.  I need the cutting table.  And more boxes.  Wish me luck.


12 comments:

liz said...

are you hand sewing the star blocks

Taryn said...

Hi Liz - you showed up as a "no reply" comment so I couldn't respond directly. Yes, I am hand piecing the star blocks.

Sue said...

You know, these sewing rooms get like that.

I've been hand sewing all week and honestly, I don't miss the sewing machine that much. I find hand stitching just the perfect therapy. I forget there is a world out there :D

audrey said...

Your hand sewing looks really great! Good luck on your big job with the sewing room.:)

Leeanne said...

fabulous blocks!
I have seen a few sewing rooms like this in blog land, so you are not alone, if that helps?

Judy Dietrich said...

This is a sign of great creativeness. I am at the same stage as you are right now. It hurts to look at the jumble of stuff, but hard to get the enthusiasm to find a place for everything!! I keep changing my mind where I want things to go--and then its like a house of cards.......Good Luck & glad to see you blogging.

Janet said...

Oh dear - I think my sewing table looks a bit like that too... The results of your handsewing are lovely!!

Janet said...

Ok, now I feel normal, my sewing room looks like that all over and is way overdue for a massive tidy up. Meanewhile you're still producing great blocks. I love seeing your flower garden and the second one is ultra neat. I love star blocks, yours look great.

Lori said...

I'm in the same predicament! Love your hand applique blocks and your design wall blocks:)

Cheryl said...

Your machine may be dormant, but your hands have been busy! All great blocks. Those little LeMoyne stars are the best. What an heirloom quilt they will become.

Sharon said...

Had to smile at your post...this afternoon my husband was walking down the hall, then backed up and looked in the sewing room and said he had not seen the floor in my sewing room for a long time. He wondered if I was ok because I had cleaned it up. When I get busy creating, who has time to put anything away? I can tell you are the same way! Love all your projects! You go girl!

Cynthia@aquilterbynight said...

Your flower garden blocks are soooo pretty! Stars too. My sewing space gets like yours too. Most of my stuff is in Japan and here in the US my sewing room is in the attic... not the place to be in the summer. I need to get more organized for handwork!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...