Monday, November 7, 2011

Scale


This is an antique quilt I bought fairly recently. I bought it from photos but the dealer is excellent so when she says something is impressive, I believe her. I may have mentioned my affinity for Lemoyne Stars once or twice (or more) before so you can see why this quilt appealed to me despite the sorry state of its fabrics. That star block on top of the quilt? It is 3-1/2" unfinished and will finish to 3". The little stars in this quilt? They are a tiny 2"! Well, sort of 2". Some are 2" x 2-1/2" or combinations like that but I am not criticising the fact that they are not exactly square everywhere. They are tiny! I was gushing about the stars in this quilt on display at the American Folk Art Museum last year and they were a (relatively) whopping 2.5".


You can see the weakness in the red fabrics in this photo and the worst fading of the fabrics is in the blocks on that right side of the quilt. But, if you had made this would you have been able to hide it away? Me neither!


Okay, here's the photo where you can really get an idea of the scale. For those unfamiliar with American quarters, they are about an inch in diameter.


Of course, I love that this quilt has cheddar fabric and that's one of the few fabrics that stood the test of time.


Here's another detail shot to show you the pink because I love pink, too.


And, finally, I like the way the two stars with indigo fabrics just pop right out at you. How I wish I could have seen this quilt when its colors were new, don't you? The cheddar, pink, indigo and red triangle border makes me think the whole thing must have been quite bright and vibrant.


This last little beauty is made by my friend Alice Tignor and was in the recent International Quilt Festival in Houston. I just love it and had to include it here when I am talking about tiny quilts. Those little blocks are only 3" and don't you love the precision of her flying geese border? She doesn't do paper piecing! I noticed that many of the award winning quilts (large and small) in the show were machine pieced. Clearly, the judges didn't share my bias toward hand quilting.

22 comments:

Sue said...

Love that quilt. It is a stunner!

Jill said...

I have the same affinity for LeMoyne Stars. I love everyone I see, especially sweet little ones. Thank you for sharing your quilt with us.

Sue said...

Taryn, meant to say sorry we didn't get to meet io in Houston. I hope you had fun?

Doniene said...

Lovely, stunning, absolutely amazing!! I love star quilts and this is definitely one to covet!! Thanks for sharing the pictures! I, too, lean toward hand quilting. I believe it shows patience for real workmanship!

Blessings

Janet O. said...

I struggle with Lemoyne star in a regular size block, I can't imagine making a bunch of them so tiny. Fascinating quilt. It does seem that it may at one time have all been quilt bold in color.
Alice's quilt is amazing. It is hard to believe those blocks are only 3". The border is perfect--and without paper piecing. Wow!

The Civil War Quilter said...

I can see why you had to have that quilt. It is delectable with its teeny tiny stars. Love it!

Michelle said...

I love itty bitty blocks. Those are just amazing!

Supergoof said...

OMG,... I LOVE the little stars,...
I was here befor,... and I looked at all the pixtures of the red and white quilts,.... and now I've got that STRONG feeling I really have to make one,... again,...
HELP!
;o)
I LOVE your blog!
:o)

Elyte said...

The star quilt is very special especially when you scale it down to it's actual size. Alice's work is beautiful.

Barb said...

OMG those are sooo tiny! I love the doubled pieced border. SO, are you going to make a new version?
Love your friends little quilt too!

Me and My Stitches said...

I LOVE your "new" quilt - wonderful little stars! I can sure understand why you had to have it!

Lori said...

I adore your newest quilt!! I wouldn't want to make the small stars but it is so stunning. Thanks for sharing this beauty!!

Nicky said...

Those tiny stars are adorable!

Dawn said...

Great tiny examples! Amazing sewing skills. I admired the miniture quilt entries with hand work. So special!

Janet said...

Oh Wow!! What a great quilt! I love the border and those tiny stars - I can't imagine piecing them - they are really wonderful. enjoy!

Donna K from N.TX aka Quilting Bear Gal said...

You made a nice purchase. Thanks for sharing.

Amish Stories said...

I thought id stop by and post a comment since im checking out some new blogs. So greetings from the Amish settlement of Lebanon ,Pa. Richard from Amish Stories.

Susie said...

Love those tiny stars!

Sheila said...

Well, you know I love that star quilt! This was a great posting. The small quilt at the end is a beauty.

Vesuviusmama said...

Holy mackerel! What a beauty!

Lisa said...

The stars are so tiny! I love the indigo ones in there. Something unexpected is always a bonus.

Lucy said...

Ohh my you found a thrill!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...