Saturday, September 10, 2011

Who's cruising now?


Me, that's who! I complained in my last post about how I felt like I was all thumbs stitching on my little sprigs applique blocks. When I mentioned to Janet (Quiltsalott) that I thought part of the problem was the silk thread I was using, she directed me to a Youtube video on how to knot the thread in your needle. What a difference a couple of minutes instruction makes!

Silk thread is excellent for applique because it virtually disappears and you only need a small range of neutral colors instead of the rainbow of cotton thread necessary to match every fabric you are using. But, it is barely bigger than an human hair and slippery as...well...silk. Stitching with it is a bit like running in flip flops. It's awkward and you keep slipping out of them. Because the thread is so very fine, you can put a knot right at the eye of the needle and it doesn't affect the needle going through the fabric at all. Once I was freed from worrying about the thread sliding out of the needle after every stitch I could zoom along just like I was using cotton. Janet has posted the video on the Glorious Applique blog. You can find it here.


I am also finally feeling comfortable with my sewing machine again. As I mentioned previously, it was feeling its 20 years and needed refurbishing to work again. After spending the summer at the sewing machine spa, it's back and humming along beautifully. Above are star blocks 7 and 8.



When I was searching for a quilt with a plain back to use as a background to photograph my blocks, I happened upon this little doll quilt I bought a couple of years ago. I think it is sweet and clearly has been cuddled by some dolls.



I have my next two Sprigs blocks prepped and ready for stitching. Now that I am a wiz with the silk thread I expect to finish at least one of them this weekend.

20 comments:

Lori said...

Awesome block!! I haven't gotten the knack working with silk thread. I'm glad it is working for you. Love your pieced blocks too and the doll quilt is so precious.

The Civil War Quilter said...

Great post! I love it all. Glad your machine is all well again. The doll quilt is adorable!

Cathy said...

I love your block. I have used silk thread before. My only problem was it slid out of the needle on me. The doll quilt is adorable. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Hugs

Kathie said...

great block! wow love the star blocks too!
happy to see your making progress on your quilt.
The little quilt is adorable...love that fabric on the back, thanks for sharing
Kathie

Janet O. said...

Love the pink and green sprigs block--and the warm colored stars are great.
What a treasure of a little doll quilt.

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

hmm,silk thread.. will have to try! how cute is that doll quilt?? CUTE!!keep on hummin!

Leeanne said...

Glad your machine is over it's 'illness'!
That is interesting about the silk thread, I have heard and seen many people use it with great results.When I started ,which wasn't that long ago,I used Auriful 50wt,grey is my main colour, plus a few others and I am happy with the thread.I know of others who use this lovely thread too.The 12wt is lovely for embroidery and stitcheries.

Janet said...

Hopefully now that you've tamed that silk thread you can enjoy the stitching more. The blocks look wonderful and you get to play with lots of colour.
The doll quilt is adorable and looks well played with.

viridian said...

I think I have some of thes pink fabrics too! And I like silk thread for applique too.

Quilt Hollow said...

You certainly are on a roll now! WOW..looks like a pro!!!

Merilyn said...

What a great tip using silk thread, which I love to use anyways!!!
Your blocks are lovely too! Just love the tiny little doll quilt, too cute!!!

Janet said...

I love your newest sprig block - very pretty! Thanks for the info about silk thread. I've never used it but have always been curious about it. I'll have to get a spool and watch the video. Glad your sewing machine is back :0)

MulticoloredPieces said...

Greetings from Tunisia! I'm enjoying your blog while trying to beat the heat. Your textile work is lovely and the antique quilts you feature are so beautiful. One can never see enough of them.
best, nadia

Cheryl said...

I, too, like the soft green and pink of the sprigs block. I have tried silk thread, but have trouble keeping it in my needle...old eyes need a thicker thread, I guess. Ever try DMC 50 wt. embroidery thread?
Glad your machine is healthy again...enjoy your time together making those stars.

Elyte said...

Love that tip about the silk thread. I know that "all thumbs" feeling and hope that it is a thing of the past.

Barb said...

OMG I love that antique doll quilt. It has such a great patina -
the stars are wonderful and I'm glad you're in the fast lane with the applique'

Teresa said...

Your Stars and Sprigs are looking great...I love that knot...sure makes sewing with "human hair" (silk thread) easier.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Dawn said...

Love you fussy cutting on the applique, fabulous fabric choices - AGAIN ;-)
The doll quilt is so sweet!

Nicole said...

Thanks for sharing that link about applique!

Lisa said...

I love your block!! Applique is addictive, isn't it. :) And that doll quilt is wonderful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...