Friday, September 10, 2010
It has been a goal/dream/fantasy of mine to create a wall of little quilts (several blogs have featured photos of these but I can't find them right now-sorry!). So I've worked my way to that goal by making quite a few little quilts. The problem is, most have been scrappy with dark colors being dominant and, while pleasing to me individually, all kind of "read" the same on the wall. In other words, they look boring. I am getting impatient and just want to get something I finished displayed on the wall. So, I followed the suggestion Lori Smith gives in her patterns and bought an inexpensive, ready-made frame from a craft store. I made this little quilt, took the time to hand quilt it, and was excited to pop it in the frame and call it "art."
But it didn't fit.
It didn't dawn on me to check the size of the little quilt pattern I chose and compare it to the size of the frame I have. The former is 11"x14" and the latter is 10"x13".
So now it is living on the edge...of this basket. I think I'll roll up the other "wall of quilts" wannabes and stick them into the basket, too.
And, since I did take so much time to hand quilt the thing, I have to show off the back so you can see I really, really made an effort on this one. By the way, this quilt is from one of Lori Smith's "fit to frame" patterns. I recommend trying them, but make sure to compare sizes so when you're finished it will actually fit the frame.
Posted by Taryn at 4:59 PM