Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hi! from Africa


No, not me, but my DD is participating in an awesome experience in Ethiopia this month. She is part of a literacy mission organized by the Davis Moon Project, a non-profit organization dedicated to building and supplying free children's libraries in Ethiopia and to bringing a small measure of hope to its children. You can read more about the DMP and its goals at their website. One of the 2010 mission group's members, Heather, started a blog about the mission so I am sure we'll be seeing some pictures soon. I just heard from my DD today and I wanted to share her message:

Hi mom! I miss you loads!! I hope your week is going well and you and dad aren't missing me tooooo much. Its been a great trip so far, but it's so heartbreaking to see the kids like this. The first day we went to the orphanage and that was pretty much how I expected it to be. The kids were very small for their age and so understimulated but they were really sweet and obviously really enjoyed being played with. Yesterday and today we went about an hour out of the city to Dahley where the kids live in huts and have very little if anything to eat. Some of the kids didn't even have clothes and some of the ones that did their clothes were so ripped it didn't make much difference. A lot of them didn't have shoes and had to walk in mud and stand on rocks. It poured so badly yesterday we almost couldn't get back across the river we walked across to get to where they're building the library. We helped make a stone pathway yesterday and today and planted trees...today the kids helped us and it was so sweet. I have some pictures but everyone has been taking so many plus the camera crew I've kind of stopped bothering with it just so I can focus on spending time with the kids. I have lots of stories though and there will be lots of pictures for you to see. Thanks so much for making sure I got this opporunity. Love you lots and I'll talk to you soon.

3 comments:

Vesuviusmama said...

You must be so proud of her - sounds like she is doing good things!

Kathie said...

what an incredible opportunity for your DD and oh my a lifelong experience she will never forget.
Kathie

Lori said...

My daughter went on a short mission trip years ago and learned so much. What a valuable experience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...