Friday, January 1, 2010

And they're off...

Do you make New Year resolutions? I like to tell myself I do not. After all, I smugly tell myself, I am not one of those people newly jamming the gym in January. I started back to exercising two weeks ago. Hmph. Do you promise yourself you will use more fabric from your stash instead of buying new so often? I think that's why the fabric companies put out a whole bunch of new lines in September, October and November and hold back in December and January while our resolve has a chance to weaken. Did you swear to clean and organize your sewing space and promise to NEVER let that mess happen again? I do that about once every three months and the most recent was early last week so I am not counting that as a New Year resolution. (Yesterday's picture of the little quilt in progress was the fruit of the reorganized sewing area, but the border dilemma has created a new mess.) Are you committing to finishing those UFO's this year instead of starting so many new projects? Nope, not me. The one thing I do commit to on January 1 every year is to start a new project. I am told this is a new decade so I think I'll celebrate by starting two.

Above is a project I've been thinking about since January 1, 2009. It is the April quilt from Lang's Great American Quilts calendar. I saw these rolls at a quilt show I happened across while in San Francisco last October. I swapped out my calendar this morning and started drafting my blocks so this is new project number 1 for the new year.


Lori at Humble Quilts is sharing her pattern for a doll quilt she calls Cheddar Cheese and Crackers. She is a Weight Watcher Leader so I am thinking that name is a hint to feed our souls more and our stomachs less. Hey, it is New Year's Day so where else would my mind be after two weeks of no restraint in the food department. I am going to stick with Lori's colors and pulled all of the above candidates from my stash (the fabric store is closed today so I can't buy new...except online, hmmm). Visit her blog if you want to join in the fun of this little quilt. My cheddar options are darker and orange-er than Lori's solid. I know I have a solid that would work but, as I mentioned, I organized and cannot find where I stuck it. Drat. New project number 2 is ready for cutting.

Happy New Year to everyone! I don't like to resolve, but I do like to recommit. Therefore, I am redoubling my efforts to make time to include something creative in my life regularly. I hope you are able to do so, as well.

7 comments:

PatchworkRose said...

I love that Calender quilt Taryn :-)
My NYR is to get back to NIQ and CWBQ and I am going to make a Kaffe Quilt. Still in my head at the moment and fabric is coming :-)I can share the brights with the Repro and the other thing I am going to try and do is organise my Day better. I think that is the much bigger challenge. Do you think that will help me harness time ;-)
Cheers
Lynne

Miriam said...

Happy New Year, Taryn!

No resolutions here. I just wish there were more hours in the day!

Lori's quilt looks very tempting!!

Janet said...

I like the word recommit rather than resolutions which I don't make. I usually think about what I want to achieve though. I jumped on Lori's bandwagon too and loved the same colours. Plus it's less confusing for me.

Lori said...

Your calender quilt is charming and I the border is so unique!
I love your cheddar/orange fabric. That is what I was really tempted to use but am trying to use fabric I haven't used before.
I have a short term goal to get a few extra pounds off! Not a resolution though. :)

Shasta said...

You're a bad influence - starting a new quilt. Although that is certainly one resolution I could keep!

Christine said...

Love your blog glad I found it, I am also doing the little cheddar quilt

cheers
Christine

Barb said...

Looking forward to seeing your doll quilt. I want to do it too, but have too much in the sewing room at the moment.
barb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...