Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kim Diehl class

I took a fun workshop on Monday with quilt author and designer, Kim Diehl. The project was her pattern, Bittersweet Briar. I never worked with wool before so I thought a class would be a better way than trial and error to learn how to work with the stuff. Kim did not disappoint and it is e-a-s-y to work with wool. Fast, too. There aren't any shops in my area with a good selection of wool so I ordered from one of my favorite sources, The Quilt Merchant, outside Chicago. They were super helpful and I think you will agree that they put together some great colors for my project. I just emailed them the supply list that included a color picture of the project and they did the rest. It turns out, they will be having Kim at their shop next year to teach the very same project.
A bonus I got from the workshop was the chance to meet a new member of my guild who is also a rug hooker. We started chatting about rug hooking, wool suppliers and the possibility of going on a wool hunt ourselves through the second hand shops. I spend so much time talking, I didn't get much done on my class project. See, below is all I accomplished.


I liked working with wool and the technique is so fast and easy I am optimistic that I will get more done on this project soon. Check out Kim Diehl's website. She has that "tradition with a twist" style that is colorful and fun, yet true to the traditional blocks and applique I love.

7 comments:

Vivian said...

A couple of my favorite quilt books are by Kim Diehl. Her projects are such a great combination of folk art + whimsical. How lucky you are to have had a class with her. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with those yummy wools.

Una said...

Here comes another OO. Wow, how lucky you have been to take one of KD's classes. I enjoy her patterns so much in APQ magazine. Looking at them, I mean. Wool is a new adventure I'd love to dive into. Have fun!! Your block so far looks reallly nice:)

Julia said...

Beautiful!
I love it..
Julia ♥

Shelly said...

I don't know Kim Diehl but it sounds like you had a great day in her class. Wool is not something I have tried yet but would like to have a go some day. So far your block looks really good. Have fun with it!

Kathie said...

what a great class that must have been.
I would love to take a class with her too.
Love her books.
I haven't tried that thread but am going to order some, I love the look of utility stitch on some quilts.
Kathie

Karen said...

Working with wool is a pleasure. Lucky you getting to take the class.

Quilt Hollow said...

Oh how I would have loved to have been in that class! Wonderful show and share!
I'm new to your blog and find I am enjoying it immensely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...